Sunday, March 13, 2011

The DIY Potty Doll Underpants Solution!

I thought Toby's enthusiasm was enough to make potty training a snap. Not do much. Little bladder and fine motor skills haven't quite caught up with his precocious attitude toward toilet independence. However, our little attempt today did give me the chance to do a few things:

1) Get ticked off at the toy manufacturers who make all these dolls that pee (very few of which are boys, but that aside...) and make five different kids of diaper packs, but NO underpants! Hellllllloooooo, we use these dolls to potty train, duh. Underpants are required. Just sell little packs if five in white, unisex. Easy. Heck, make them expensive. We will buy them, you'll make a killing. Since you don't make them, I'm just annoyed. Oh, and all the diaper packs are disposables, which isn't cool since even little ones playing should have the option of cloth diapering!

2) Figure out a DIY solution to this lack-of-doll-underpants problem. I used size 6 month (maybe 12 month, little-ish ones) boy's socks. I'm guessing it would be similar for girls. Toby has outgrown them, and there are loads lying around. I used a pricey pair of stride rites the first time, but still feel bad about that. The cheapie ones are even better.

It took three minutes to make plenty of undies for our babydoll. I took photos of the steps below. All you need are scissors :). I feel better about the day now, even though it's clear already that I jumped the gun on this potty business. Ah well, when I try again babydoll will have lots of skivvies!