Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Mama Law: Multitasking is a myth.

Stop, you say! No, no. Mamas are the queens of multitasking! How else would we get done all that we do?

Ah, but how I wish it were so. We get all these things done by sheer force of will, and we expend great amounts of mental, physical, and emotional energy to make everything happen.

Studies (like the ones here, here, and here) have tried to demonstrate really, multitasking is a myth. Your brain (my brain, her brain, his brain...) can't actually focus on more than one thing at a time, and this means swiftly shifting concentration really slows you down in the long run. Now, while I tend to raise the eyebrow of disbelief when I hear that "they" say anything, I have to agree with them here. Only after bouts with denial, my own real world testing, and even a bit of therapy have I concluded that no, not even mamas can do it all, and really not all at once.

And then these darn commercials screw with my head.  What!?!