Thursday, March 12, 2009

Sleepless, and thinking about it.

I can't sleep, again. Pregnancy mucks up sleeping habits, I know, but it's getting quite ridiculous. When I was pregnant with Henry, I would be up from about 3-7 every morning, and then sleep until about 10 when I could. That worked pretty well. Now that Henry is a 2 year old maniac, there is no sleeping unless he's asleep. This means afternoon naptime, which would normally be reserved for things like cleaning and whatnot, has been devoted to power-napping for both of us. Which is fine, but my house is falling down around me. I'm also kind of nesting, so this lack of order is making me a little bit crazy. There is this tension between desperately wanting to reorganize, clean, prepare, etc. and exhaustion coupled with the desire to turn off my brain entirely. Evenings after Henry's asleep could, theoretically, be productive. But by then I want to sit around and watch bad TV or read a book, or anything but clean. It takes hours to wind down for elusive sleep, and starting projects at 8pm just seems problematic.

Only ten weeks to go - things need to happen! But then, the belly is getting more and more intrusive in my ability to move around, breathe, not pee every three minutes... How did I manage last time? No 2 year old...

And then as I was typing that, that little maniac sat up in bed and, in the midst of singing to himself, said (clear as can be) "Baby Toby" which makes all the bitching totally irrelevant.