Thursday, August 13, 2009

That's what I want.

While I have admitted recently that I have a love/hate relationship with technology, I also still want stuff. As promised, here is a list, in no particular order, of the material things I am craving:

1. Portable DVD players for the car. I never imagined that I would want to be in one of those minivans with movies playing in the back on the highway. (Yes, I said minivan, but that is another story.) I find it distracting to drive past a DVD player in another car, as I am always trying to figure out what they are watching. It’s a terrible hazard. But so is a screaming child, and while Henry doesn't really ever scream, it is a truth universally acknowledged that an entertained Henry is far more fun than a bored and cranky Henry. Oh, and we can’t handle listening to the Alphabet CD on repeat for 3 hours. Ever. Again.

2. iPhone. I want to be able to take pictures, post to the blog, update on Facebook and Twitter, make calls, text, email, AND shoot video – all on the fly. I have said before, and I will say it again: I don’t like the phone. It’s true! But the iPhone can do oh so many things. And honestly, I need something to do while I am nursing Toby. And I need a device designed for one hand to do it because the laptop is unwieldy. I know this practically negates everything I said here, but really, I do need an iPhone to make it all a little easier. Right?

3. A fancy schmancy washer/dryer. Kelly Ripa has convinced me. I’m sorry, but being able to wash and dry a load of clothes in like 35 minutes is amazing. You know it is. Quiet machines - oh, heaven. Saving energy and water to boot? Please. No brainer. Gotta have it.

4. A laser printer for the house. I want the cheapest, simplest thing around. I need to be able to print forms from time to time. Or recipes. Or letters. Paperwork generally. I actually do a great deal of paperwork (it’s weird), and it would improve my mood tremendously to just be able to DO it. I guess we do have an ink jet someplace we could get back in action, but laser is so much easier. And I never need to print in color anymore, so cheapo laser is perfection.

5. A king-sized bed. Toby likes to nurse and sleep with us. I think Henry may want to come hang in bed with us sometimes now. All this action in the queen is just not working so well. Those extra inches would improve my nights oh so much… Oh king bed, come to me!

Of course, these are the individual, accessible things I crave. I also want a new kitchen, new windows, a new roof, and a new color for the house (among our other home projects on the waiting list), but even just the list above makes me feel a little creepy when I write it down, so I will just stop now...