Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Bookish-ish

I've been reading, and making things, but have been wretched about getting things written. Tonight I'm planning on deciding on a new book to start, and reading!! before bed, which must be soon, so this is an "-ish" post.

For whatever reason, I've been in this apocalyptic zombie zone lately; I just finished _Zone One_ by Colson Whitehead. It wasn't a revelation, but it was entertaining and well-written as far as zombie novels go. And short, so that was nice for me. I totally didn't plan to write tonight, so I have nothing planned in terms of a proper review, but I will say that it's left this odd literary nonsense rattling around my head - the last paragraph calls to mind immediately the end of _The Great Gatsby_, "The Dead," and _Little Dorrit_. A lot actually reflects "The Dead" by Joyce, tossing it up and playing with it in bizarre ways. So I have to think about all that more, perhaps reread Joyce, and write something sensible.