Sunday, June 14, 2009

Henry shorts.

SLUUT
Henry would be the happiest kid in the world if only he could read. It's not for lack of desire that he can't do it yet. He's obsessed with letters, and has taken to placing random magnetic letters into "words," reciting the letters, and asking us "what's that spell?" This morning he asked me what "S-L-U-U-T" spelled. While trying to decide how I should pronounce this one, I also couldn't help but hope that this was not some torrid thing he picked up at Ikea during our visit last week.

Conversation
Last night I let Bret take Toby so I could sleep. When I got up with Henry, I needed to both feed him breakfast and pump breastmilk because Toby was fed and asleep with Papa. So I decided that, since Henry has to watch Toby eat all the time, he could handle watching me pump. Here's how that turned out:

Henry: (pointing to breastpump apparatus stuck to me) Mommy, what's in there?
Me: In the bottle is milk for Toby.
H: No, what's in there?
M: That's mommy's boobie. It makes milk.
H: Put the boobie away, mommy.
M: Mommy needs to make milk for baby Toby. I'll cover it up. (I do, but keep pumping.)
H: No boobies! No boobies! No boobies!

He's right really. Boobies away at the dining table seems like a reasonable request. At least when no baby is eating that is.