Friday, July 22, 2011

Make Something Friday: Celebration Ring

In these dog days of summer, our little family unit doesn't have any birthdays to celebrate for a good long while, so why I am planning this Celebration Ring project above others is not something that makes a tiny bit of logical sense.

I am just completely in love with it, have all the necessary materials, and can do it in my lap on the couch - WINNER!

I found it on a lovely and inspiring blog - Rhythm & Rhyme - which has given me yet another reason to want to move to Australia.

If you are not familiar with Waldorf education, and Waldorf-style birthday celebrations for small children, you won't say "be still my heart!" just looking at this piece. But, if you have ever had the distinct joy of celebrating your child's birthday with his or her Waldorf class, you might be crying already.

I knew there was a magical birthday tradition at Henry's preschool, and I knew everyone loved it, but I was fully unprepared for how amazing, beautiful, moving - good lord, who even has the words? I sat in a room of silent two, three and four year olds, next to Henry, wearing his crown and rainbow cape, while his teacher told the most amazing story about a little boy choosing his family and coming through the clouds and across the rainbow bridge to join them. He knew exactly what to do, and crossed the little bridge, and did the candles, and it was magic. I sat there and cried, and smiled, and cried. And not a kid in the room looked at me funny, because I am guessing that I am not the first parent to sit there sobbing filled with love and joy and pride, but also humbling, pure, raw emotion. (Full disclosure, thinking back on it now and typing the overview is making me sit here and cry. It was so moving.) After the tradition was finished, we shared lovely special snack, and felt so lucky to have him in this world with me.

So with the rainbow bridge, there is this deep and beautiful meaning for me, and I hope for the boys since they are (or will be) getting Waldorf education. Gnomes are a central part of Henry's school and the Waldorf tradition and folklore embodied in so many of the stories, and the natural light of candles can be so calming. It's a simple little project, but one that I am really looking forward to making.

Oh, and I'm hoping to get shelves installed, the boys' bedroom together for sharing, the baby furniture sold on craigslist, and the nursery turned into an office. Before Monday. Happy weekend!