Thursday, September 9, 2010

Mama's got a new bike (in theory)

After hemming and hawing and calling around all over the state of Florida to see if anyone, anywhere, had something in stock from the 2010 model year, I had to order a bike. When one orders a bike and knows that the wait will be a few months, that extra $100 for a nicer ride doesn't feel so bad - I mean, if I have to wait, I should get precisely what I want, no?

So here it is, the winner. It's all ordered and should be on it's way to me just as soon as it can be... sometime this winter. I am hoping sooner rather than later as the old Fuji hybrid I pulled out of storage and had fixed up just enough to ride is just awful. Bret notes that this will make the fabulous new bike all the more luxurious when it arrives, but then he is riding a speedy road bike while I am stuck on a clunker puling 100 pounds of kid and trailer. Hmmm.

We will be riding to school tomorrow morning for the first time. The boys and their watermelon helmets are beyond cute. Henry has been wearing his for two days, almost non-stop. I'm hoping the novelty wears off only enough to let him feel like wearing it when we are riding is enough, rather than trying to explain to strangers why your three year old is in a helmet in the grocery store. But I'll take it if it means he'll wear it on the road. I love their brains.