Wednesday, February 15, 2012

CSA Love. Soup love.

Being members of our beautiful CSA, Swallowtail Farm, has challenged me to use more veggies every day, and use them more creatively. I sometimes don't quite rise to the challenge, and our compost eats a lot. Sometimes, I do better, and I'm always ready to try new recipes (especially for turnips, cabbage, and radishes - right now we are swamped!).

Today was CSA pickup, which means that we only had leftovers when I was actually cooking dinner. I improvised a sweet potato/lentil soup, and I was pretty pleased with the results. I did use celery, onions, and garlic from the co-op -- Florida does, ironically, have seasonal limitations and our farm doesn't grow everything (celery - I still have never seen it growing). But, here's what I did, in case you need some inspiration to whip something up with the stuff you happen to have around.

On-The-Fly SP-L Soup

Chicken stock (from organic chicken, prepped and frozen after last roast chicken), about 4 cups-ish (6?)

3 small onions, chopped

3 stalks celery, chopped

3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite sized bits

Red lentils, about 1 cup-ish

2 pinches coarse Celtic sea salt

2 grinds mixed peppercorn pepper

2 pinches coriander

Put everything in a nice soup pot with a lid, bring to rolling boil, bring down to a fast simmer, cover, and cook for another twenty-30 minutes. Turn down to low until ready to serve - give it a good mix and be sure to get all those lentils (which have broken down and almost be one like a creamy base) into every bowl. Served 2 adults as only dinner and 2 wee ones, who also got fresh carrots. Perfectly, no leftovers :)