Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Cheap and (quite nearly) plastic free

I finally made something clever that I discovered on Pinterest. (I'm sure I have made one thing or another at some point since joining ages ago, but this was a full-on, beginning-to-end, Pinterest project.)

I'm in love with my mason jars. I'm in love with my Cuppow, in love with my cozy, more in love with the tote-able cozy I made for Toby's teacher, and generally obsessed with jars and canning.

For me, my Cuppow is just fine for ice water. I can also stick a plastic straw in the spout and it works as a sippy. But my Cuppow, sadly, only comes in wide mouth. My poor little young 'uns with their regular mouth 8oz jelly jars are left to suffer with disposable straw cups when the Klean Kanteens are dirty, they are drinking milk or OJ spiked with fish oil, or when, well, I just don't want a mess.

No more!

I made one nice big top for me. That's what is seen here, because Toby really wanted to share my water. I also made 3 itty bitty regular tops, and Toby enjoyed spill-free milk on the couch this afternoon. I did use a shortened standard straw for him, but I might have to invest in a pack of short stainless straws. My long ones are great, now that I have a real use for them!

At about $0.50 each, the rubber grommets that go into the drilled hole are totally worth it, and I'm loving upcycling used canning lids. Before I return this big fat 3/8" drill bit, it's going to do some more holes!