Saturday, June 2, 2012

Kidneys are a pain sometimes.

Last Sunday I was awoken about 4am with excruciating pain in my left side/back. I've been having this sort of pain off and on for about three weeks, but after being treated with antibiotics and getting a clear ultrasound (read, no kidney stones) I had moved on from Lortabs to natural therapies.

After going to Ortho-Bionomy twice, I was feeling quite good really, with almost no pain episodes, and feeling really confident that we were working on getting my organs back into a rhythm of descent/ascent inside my pelvis.

Then Sunday morning hit me like a truck. By 6:00, I decided to wake Bret and talk ER. Rather than waking kids, I drove myself to the hospital. While not something I would suggest, the mile drive early on a Sunday was uneventful, even if painful...

Long story short: triage, CT scan, urologist conversation (8mm stone stuck just above your bladder, surgery?, yes I don't like 30% odds for passage in 2 weeks), admission, and a lot of drugs. Visits from the boys, including amazing cards. Surgery early Monday morning, checked out Monday afternoon.

I had to pull out my stent on Wednesday. See that crazy, long, creepy string? It had the blue curl on up in my kidney, the white curl down in my bladder, and the string taped to my thigh. It was dreadfully uncomfortable.

I'm still achey and a bit cranky, fatigued from all the Percocet for those couple of days, and still astounded that I pulled that huge thing out in the shower three days ago. I'm a little disappointed not to at least HAVE the big old kidney stone to show for all this, but they smashed it with a laser while I was knocked out and took away the pieces. I get to find out what they are made of in a few weeks.

In the meanwhile, we are hanging in there. Not terribly gracefully, but it's ok to be crazy town every now and again, right?